A showplace for many years has been the Rothschild Pavilion, which then known as Pine Park. It was built in 1908 of slabs with rough bark on it, and the sides were covered with burlap to keep the rain out. This building burned down in 1910, the Electric Company then built a beautiful stone pavilion with rustic furnishings. A full time caretaker was hired on salary plus a house, rent free.
It was visited winter and summer alike. A swimming pool and picnic grounds were on the island, and boats were available for rent. It also had a baseball park, ski slide, hockey rink and dances, industrial companies’ gatherings were held on most of the Sundays of the month. The Rod & Gun Club was a very active group and put in many activities. Winter sports activities were held featuring a winter Sports Queen and her court. But the most popular attraction was the roller coaster, known as the whizzer.
Transportation was available as the street cars went from Wausau to the Pavilion and it was later was extended to the "Punch Office" or also known as the "Time Shack." The car fare was five cents to the Wausau City limits and ten cents to Rothschild. On weekends they also added trailers to the street cars. Often, young boys were seen jumping on the trailers to ride to the Pavilion – most jumped off before the conductor had a chance to collect the fare.