Business 51 Project
North Central Region Office 510 Hanson Lake Road, Rhinelander, WI 54501 Phone: (715) 421-8301 www.wisconsindot.gov
For release: September 21, 202
For more information, contact:
Tegan Griffith, WisDOT Region Communication Manager
Tegan.Griffith@dot.wi.gov or (715) 493-3710
Business 51 project scheduled to begin next week in Marathon County
Improvements to Business 51, between Everest Drive to Schofield Avenue and East Grand Avenue to Eau Claire River Bridge, are scheduled to begin on September 30, 2020.
American Asphalt of Wisconsin is the prime contractor for the $1,056,821 project. Crews will resurface the asphalt pavement and repair select storm water inlets.
• Traffic will be reduced to a single lane in each direction. All southbound lanes will be open between Jelinek Avenue and Everest Drive between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m.
• During single lane closures, a 10-foot width restriction applies
• During nighttime pavement removal and paving operations, the eastbound and westbound WIS 29 ramps will be closed for two nights.
• During the ramp closures, motorists will use the I-39/US 51 and WIS 29 next available interchanges east and west of the closure.
• Left turn lanes will be provided between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. at:
o WIS 29 eastbound ramps
o WIS 29 westbound ramps
o Volkman Street
o Jelinek Street and Kort StreetConstruction is currently scheduled for completion by October 31, 2020. The schedule is dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction progress.
• Follow construction progress on the project website: https://projects.511wi.gov/bus51marathon/
• For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin’s North Central Region, follow us on Twitter @WisDOTNorthCent.
Work Zone Safety
Each year in Wisconsin, both highway workers and motorists are killed and injured in crashes that happen in highway construction zones. Motorists should slow down, be patient and pay attention to their surroundings in this and all work zones.
For more information regarding work zone rules for motorists, the new law restricting hand-held devices, and general work zone safety information, please see our work zone safety website: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/safety/education/workzone/default.aspx.
# # #
View this release online: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/about-wisdot/newsroom/news-rel/09212020-nc-business51.aspx